Be Mine, Gal-entine: 9 Ways To Date Yourself This Valentine’s Day
Holidays can be very hard for even the most secure singleton. You learn to make it through the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, ducking and dodging giftless-ness, prying family members and engagement announcements just fine, but Valentine’s Day can spark peak loneliness. It is like the All-Star Weekend of PDA. Sure, it’s a manmade, commercialized holiday designed to make people drop their hard earned dough. The trigger isn’t necessarily the flowers or the candy, but everyone wants to feel appreciated and thought of. When you are missing companionship that you long for, seeing it everywhere just magnifies that longing.
This is only my second Valentine’s Day as a taken lady, so the memories of Valentine’s past are still very fresh. I was single for a number of years before I met my beloved. The first few “cuffing seasons” I spent alone weren’t bad, but I must admit, the last couple were frustrating at best. However, over those years I learned to love my own company and date myself. After all, if I don’t like hanging out with me, how can I expect anyone else to? So if you’re single this year during Valentine’s Day or any other day for that matter, here are nine of the many things you can do to treat yourself.
9 Ways To Date Yourself This Valentine’s Day
- Grab dinner. Let’s just get this out of the way. You may be wondering why dinner out is on a list of single’s activities for Valentine’s Day. I have met too many single women who are afraid to go eat in a restaurant alone, amongst other things. Please don’t let fear paralyze you from doing things you enjoy. I promise, regardless of what day it is, that restaurant is still gonna take your single money just the same.
- Catch a movie. If you’re concerned about awkward stares from other diners at a restaurant (hint: there won’t be any), a movie might be the way to go. It’s the perfect activity that is out and
about,but doesn’t require interaction with others. This year, films like What Men Want and Isn’tIt Romantic are out if you’re in the mood for a rom-com. Happy Death Day 2 U, Alita, and The Lego Movie are out for those who want something different.
- Got an ex that just won’t quit buggin’ you? El Paso Zoo is allowing lucky patrons to name a cockroach after an old flame and watch it be fed to a meerkat (or other furry friends) this Valentine’s Day, as their name scrolls across the screen. Who doesn’t like instant gratification? The live stream happens at 2:15 CST if you’re interested.
- Have a gourmet dinner at home. If you are like me, you tend to eat whatever is fastest and cheapest during the week. I like to cook, but I feel guilty sometimes about indulging in anything fancy-
shmancyat home (or spending on it at a restaurant). This is our day to do just that. Break out the real plates and silverware, cook that recipe you’ve always wanted to try with the fancy ingredients, and plate it like a Michelin-star chef. You deserve it! And set the atmosphere – candles, music, and your favorite drink can’t hurt, either.
- Soak and soothe. Life comes at you fast, and you deserve the chance to just shut down and have some peace. Run yourself a whole bath, grab your favorite drink, and drop in a bath bomb or bubble bar. Check out Lush Cosmetics – Mack’s favorite is the Rose Jam Bubbleroon.
- Get a
massage. For many of us, whatever stress or angst we have on the inside shows up in our shoulders, knees, toes…the list goes on. . Close your eyes and let some magic fingers press the tension out of your body, and arise from the table a new person.
- Take a trip. Even if it’s just a day trip, a change of scenery could do a world of good. If you’re struggling with your singleness, getting away can be a welcome distraction – and freeing experience. New to solo-travel? Check out my tips in YOLO: Solo Travel For the Single Girl.
- Host a paint party. Painting with a twist is all the rage in new activities to do with your besties. If you can’t find a pre-set party, look into companies that will do mobile paint parties, like Jackson, MS’s The Perfect Palette.
- Do absolutely nothing. And don’t feel guilty about it. Sometimes the best gift you can give yourself is a break.
What are you planning to do show yourself some love this Valentine’s Day? What ways do you treat yourself throughout the year? Let us know below?